Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brush-on anti-slip coating for modern AFVs

+2
david samson
John T
6 posters

Go down

Brush-on anti-slip coating for modern AFVs Empty Brush-on anti-slip coating for modern AFVs

Post  John T Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Many modern AFVs receive anti-slip coatings on their upper surfaces. However, not all model kits of these vehicles include the texture. This is how I made the surfacing on a Tamiya M1A2.
Basically, the effect is simply texture paint, achieved by mixing model paint with some very fine grit.

The Grit.
The material I used was red (terracotta) brick powder. This was produced by just rubbing the powder off the brick with a large steel file. I intended to use this orange powder as a rust pigment, but it worked well for this purpose here also. There are probably many other sources of grit, just as long as the substance is stable and in a fine powdered form. The following image shows the powder I used on the left, and also some gritty dust that I got from our driveway, on the right. This would have been suitable also.

Brush-on anti-slip coating for modern AFVs Grit

The Sieve.
The size of the particles is also important, in order to keep the texture in scale. The use of a sieve removes the large particles, and only the material that passes through is used. Such a sieve is also useful if you make your own pigments from crushed pastels, or real rust powder as found elsewhere in Top Tips. This device was made as follows:

Brush-on anti-slip coating for modern AFVs 014

A plastic bottle was cut in half. The bottom half was taken and a large hole was cut in the bottom of it. Very fine mesh was then glued over the hole using superglue. Probably the trickiest part is locating mesh that is fine enough. The mesh I used has apertures of about 0.25mm or 1/100 inch. This mesh was once the material covering the front of a car speaker. Other possible sources include clothes dryer filters, air conditioner filters, or sheer fabric such as curtain material. By the way, you might want to make sure these things are no longer wanted before you take them.

The Paint.
Humbrol enamel paint was used, but I guess any model paint would work. However, I suggest using a colour close to that of the unpainted model. If, for example, the paint was much darker, it might show through when the vehicle is airbrushed.

The grit is just mixed with the paint in a spare bottle, adding a little at a time and applying it on an old scrap of plastic until the correct ratio is achieved.

The Application.
After locating a good reference source, I marked out on the model with a pencil the areas to be coated. Then I practised by brushing the paint on to a scrap piece of plastic. I found that the best results came from fully loading up the brush and slowly moving it across the surface. Try to get a good even coverage on the first pass, as going back over it tended to leave irregular marks. Anyway, I wouldn’t be too worried about making it perfect, because once the model is painted the texture is subtle and not easy to see.
Brush-on anti-slip coating for modern AFVs IMG_1974

Brush-on anti-slip coating for modern AFVs IMG_2073

Brush-on anti-slip coating for modern AFVs CuriousGood luck, kids!

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Townsville, Australia

Back to top Go down

Brush-on anti-slip coating for modern AFVs Empty Re: Brush-on anti-slip coating for modern AFVs

Post  david samson Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:11 pm

wow thank you for this wonderful tip ,i will be trying this in the future sometime Very Happy
david samson
david samson
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Indy,USA

Back to top Go down

Brush-on anti-slip coating for modern AFVs Empty Re: Brush-on anti-slip coating for modern AFVs

Post  John T Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks Dave. I know there's other ways, like airbrushing Mr Surfacer, with really good results as shown here:- http://vodnik.republika.pl/pages/nonslip/nonslip.htm

The way I did it seemed easier, but each to his own.

Cheers
JT

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Townsville, Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  10thmd Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Great technique can't wait to try it out
10thmd
10thmd
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : Long Island, NY

Back to top Go down

Post  reconron Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks a lot JT! Very Happy

I know Francois Verlinden did a anti-slip coating on a Bradley fighting vehicle in one of his books from the VERLINDEN WAY series,but that is many years ago,and I don't know anymore how he did it.

Your method looks really good! Surprised

Greetings,Ron.
santa
reconron
reconron
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : the Netherlands

Back to top Go down

Post  cb1 Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:11 pm

excellent! makes me want to re-build my Bradley A0 kit
cb1
cb1
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : D/FW, TX

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeonghoe Koo Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:28 am

thank you for this great tip. Very Happy
Jeonghoe Koo
Jeonghoe Koo
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : south,korea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum