Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inside the Armour Churchill idler replacement

Go down

Inside the Armour Churchill idler replacement Empty Inside the Armour Churchill idler replacement

Post  Jenny Ryan on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:40 am

Inside the Armour have continued on their tweaks for the AFV club Churchill kits , this time rather than interior bits , this time they have done a set of corrected idlers for all (and their are more coming) the AFV club kits .

The set really is a simple set with the two idlers being made of two halves , they replace directly parts D11 & D12 of the AFV Club set . Because of the nature of resin , the casting plugs are bigger than plastic sprue attachment points . Unfortunately there is a little tricky trimming to be done . but with all trimming of resin , the right tools and a little patience is required .

Use A pin vice to drill the back end of each sprocket out like so .

I use a PE razor saw from Techstar that Poppy Bob Letterman sent me , they are soooo handy and can cut on a curve following the teeth of the sprocket , a sharp scalpel was used to cut the residue from each tooth carefully and trim the excess resin .

Use thick gel superglue to glue the halves together , one so it allows longer to align the wheels and two so it will fill any gaps between the halves (hardly any really) . I used a piece of basswood which just fitted through the lightening holes to align the idler halves and keep them together this also aligns the sprocket teeth .

So whats wrong with the AFV Club Idler wheel ? Well it is missing the lightening holes on the spacer between the rims for one and it also is missing the bolt heads , the spacer also sits too far out on the AFV Club parts .

The real thing ! Chris you have got this right my friend !

The AFV Club working track fits like a glove around the improved Idler .

Through the lightening holes in the Churchill track you can now see daylight which is the idea of the lightening and drainage system and how it should be .

Well the advantages of a more correct idler for the Churchill probably are not the biggest issue with any model kit , but it shows heaps about Inside the Armour , with detail parts , interiors , you can bet they are researched , if you are modelling a KO'd Dieppe (or other)Churchill or one undergoing track maintenance then the improved idlers are an absolute must have . For those of us who just like to have everything right on our kits , then you will be getting these too . Treat yourself , you know you deserve it !

My thanks go to Chris at Inside the Armour for the review item , Chris's products are available Direct , from Firestorm Hobbies in Australia and from Hobby Link Japan in Japan .

Jenny Croft
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Inside the Armour Churchill idler replacement Empty Re: Inside the Armour Churchill idler replacement

Post  ShawnGehling on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Cool,
can't wait to see the someone build a Churchill with these.
Shawn
ShawnGehling
ShawnGehling
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Langley, Washington USA

Back to top Go down