Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551

4 posters

Go down

On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551 Empty On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551

Post  sharkmouth Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:59 am

On The Mark Models is the first Armor only PE producer appearing in the 1980s. Their line was small but all products were based on actual measurements and many include plastic nuts/bolts/turnbuckles and/or plastic/brass rod/wire/pipe to complete the detailing. While dormant for many years, I had stocked up each time I came across Mark Persichetti (the owner) at a show to ensure I got the rifling inserts. These last items were released far ahead of their time and consist of photo-etched stainless steel inserts with the proper number of rifling land and correct twist for many different guns! Sadly, in the 1980s, metal barrels were not widespread so applying the springy stainless steel inserts resulted in many split plastic barrels.

With the release of so many aftermarket barrels, I was thrilled to have my inserts in my stash as few metal barrel companies have added a correct rifling (twist and number of lands). Actually, I know of none. Even the PE detail sets that include rifling had the incorrect twist and lands but this effect was far better than none and few note the difference. Rifling reviews will be coming here soon...

This is one of the earlier sets is based on measurements of ex-IDF vehicles at various museums and consists of three fuel can racks with belts on one fret. This 2.5 x 2 inch fret comes with a letter sized instruction sheet folded in four and packed inside a plastic sleeve with a paper header. See below left:
On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551 AR3551a
On the upper right, note the brass 'hairs' sticking out of either side of the metal strap. These are intentional and indicate where to bend the straps. These hairs are easily filed away. The lower right side shows the ends of the 'fabric' straps with the rivets. Care must be taken when cutting out the parts as the brass is 0.010 inch thick etched down to 0.0025 inch. Details are etched onto both sides but none of the etching was used to make freeing the parts from the frets any easier.

On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551 AR3551b
After cleaning the brass (a dip in white vinegar, rinse in plain water, and pat dry), I cut the brass parts free. I used a curved scalpel blade on the Ausfwerks cutting board.

On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551 AR3551c
Emery boards and diamond files (regular files will do) were used to eliminate any nubs.

On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551 AR3551d
Folding the parts (I used the Ausfwerks FenderBender but any tool is fine) was easy thanks to the etched line which go all the way through. However, there are small gaps on each corner which I filled with solder. A (diamond) triangular file was used to clean the inner joints while emery boards took care of cleaning the outer joints.

On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551 AR3551e
For this project, I used a solder paste which comes in a handy syringe. I bought it online. Truthfully, not needed...

Regards,

Last edited by sharkmouth on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:06 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added some clarity on the rifling reference thanks to Richard's commentary. Dimensions added.)
sharkmouth
sharkmouth
General
General

Location Location : The mountains of South East New York

http://www.track-link.net

Back to top Go down

On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551 Empty Re: On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551

Post  Richard Marchand Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:57 am

Nice and comprehensive review Cool

But why all that talk about the rifling? Suspect What a Face
Richard Marchand
Richard Marchand
General
General

Location Location : Quebec, Canada

Back to top Go down

On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551 Empty Re: On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551

Post  sharkmouth Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:06 am

Richard Marchand wrote:Why all that talk about the rifling?

Well, Mark Persichetti noted my commentary on his rifling sets (on several sites) and soon e-mailed me to let me know he was going to the Nationals with some stock he found. I was given first choice of... you guessed it... rifling sets! I may be his biggest customer for these sets:

On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551 RiflingSets
The one on the left has quality control marks to let the buyer know which pieces are not the best quality. These sets are sold at a great discount so are my favorite. The bottom right corner of the last one has some missed etch areas too which also was at a great discount.
geek

Regards,

Last edited by sharkmouth on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
sharkmouth
sharkmouth
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:07 am

Good job Saul, I think the solder paste is the best way to go. It's soo kewl to see it boil up and run a bead down a seam, but watch those fingers! What a Face

Back to top Go down

On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551 Empty On the Mark

Post  grumpyoldman Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 am

I have a few of his sets in the stash, one is an M4 Sherman set probably for the Tamyia kit, one is for the Heller Somua S-35 kit, the last is for the Italeri M-24 Chaffee kit. The etching looks good, nice simple sets, supplying the bare essentials. It would be nice if Mark started up again.
My rifling sets are the old Armor Research ones. Maybe they have the wrong number of lands being generic rifling, but close enough for me, and my tired old eyes. Shocked
grumpyoldman
grumpyoldman
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : New Jersey---- U.S.of A.

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkmouth Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:10 pm

grumpyoldman wrote:My rifling sets are the old Armor Research ones.

I have those as well!Ray B. (over at Internet Modeler) had a low stock of these items which he took over when the Armor Research owner got ill. Feeling nostalgic, I ordered many of the white metal ammunition sets.

Regards,
sharkmouth
sharkmouth
General
General

Back to top Go down

On The Mark Models IDF Pattern Jerrican Racks set AR-3551 Empty Yep

Post  grumpyoldman Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:21 pm

Feeling nostalgic, I ordered many of the white metal ammunition sets.
Yep, I picked up a few of those also, along with PE ammo boxes, Sherman light guards, and their pulley faces sets, open and closed.

I've never been a big fan of these super magnum photo etched sets, and miss these much simpler, and easier to use sets that provided the simple basics at affordable and realistic prices.
grumpyoldman
grumpyoldman
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : New Jersey---- U.S.of A.

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkmouth Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:51 pm

grumpyoldman wrote:... along with PE ammo boxes...

Ah yes! Remember that the PE ammunition boxes and the M2 were originally released by Fotocut, another early PE brand. Wink

Regards,
sharkmouth
sharkmouth
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  toadmanstankpictures Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Saul,
Thanks for posting the review. I always thought the On-the-Mark stuff was some of the best PE out there. I too still have a few sets in my stash including Sherman, M24 and Renault/Hotchkiss sets. I think they really provide the best bang for the buck.
toadmanstankpictures
toadmanstankpictures
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : San Jose CA

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down