Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth

+4
Mel
G Cooper
Jenny Ryan
hmgroth
8 posters

Go down

Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth Empty Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth

Post  hmgroth Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:13 pm

This is Tamiya's kit no. 35310. This was going to be my main build, but when I initially read the instructions I realized that there were no mesh grills included with the kit. So I ran out and purchased the (F1). Laughing However, I recently found a source for the grills so I figured, "Why not build the two more or less in tandem?" My builds will probably jump back and forth between the two--should be interesting!

Like the (F1) I'll most likely place this in some sort of vignette, maybe a winter scene (fitting). I've never done snow or any sort of winter camouflage, so....

Again, the box top:
Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth BoxTop800w

And the contents:
Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth Contents800w

See ya at the workbench!

Mark
hmgroth
hmgroth
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Richmond, VA USA

http://a-model-citizen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth Empty Re: Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth

Post  Jenny Ryan Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:18 am

Oooooh nice Very Happy , I think Mel & Richie were going to do a joint build of one of these too .

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth Empty Re: Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth

Post  G Cooper Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:15 am

Way to go Mark:

Two at once ! I think I will have problems finishing just one in the next year.

Gary
G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Location Location : Yuma, Az.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:56 am

No way! I am building the same kit

Mel
Mel
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : Here

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zod Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 am

Mark
If you are going to do the three color Finnish camo Life Color has a Finnish set in acrylic. I may be building this as well.
The Zod
The Zod
Tank Commander
Tank Commander

Location Location : Fighting Superman

Back to top Go down

Post  hmgroth Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:07 am

Mel, can't wait to see your start. I've just about finished the lower hull and will post pictures in the next day or so. Also will post some comparison pics of the Tamiya Finn G and the Cyber F1.

Yes, I'm planning on doing the "late" version with the three-color camo. I noticed that Vallejo lists mixes for all three colors on their chart, but premixed from Lifecolor would be so much better Smile

Mark
hmgroth
hmgroth
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Zabák Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Another Finnish StuG - Perfect choice of both of you(you and Mel with Richie)
GO, BLUE VANEs, GO!!!
lol!
Pavel Zabák
Pavel Zabák
Tank Commander
Tank Commander

Location Location : Czech Republic

Back to top Go down

Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth Empty Mark's Finnish StuG: 11/30/12 Update

Post  hmgroth Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:23 pm

While I'm noodling over and fixing the issues with my (F1), I decided to go ahead and get a jump on the Finnish beastie. Tamiya includes parts to build either of two models: an Early type from April 1944 and a Late type from July 1944. I'm opting for the Late type with its logs on the vehicle sides, lots of spare track links, bolted-on side armor, and concrete on the front of the superstructure. The Tamiya kit is certainly less "engineered" than the Cyber kit, but most of the detail seems to be there. Construction so far has been very straight-forward.

The first three steps cover the suspension arms, front and side armor plates, and the rear area.

Left side showing the suspension:
Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth HullSide800w

Left side with addition of the cool armor plates:
Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth HullLR800w

Front plate with the addition of the track links from a later step:
Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth HullRFTracks800w

Initial work on the rear section:
Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth HullRear800w

Completed rear section with installation of the Tamiya screen (not included in kit):
Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth HullLRUnder800w

On to steps 6, 7, and 8 and the construction of the superstructure. Unlike the (F1) kit, the Tamiya superstructure is basically one piece with a roof piece to be added later. Tamiya has included a neat plastic template to use for marking the placement of the additional track links and antennae on the rear. Works like a charm Smile

A view from the rear. (Note that the screens have not been added to the intakes yet):
Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth SuperRR800w

And a view from the front:
Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth SuperLF800w

I did buy an after-market stowage set from Legend and a 7.5cm StuK 40 L/48 barrel from Armorscale. Given the logs on the sides of the tank I'm modeling and the typical stowage box on the rear, I'm not sure exactly where or how I'll use the stowage components, but they'll come in handy somewhere Wink
Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth StowageSet800w

Here's the result of steps 9 and 10, constructing the barrel and gun mount. Tamiya parts are in buff, Armorscale in gray:
Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth GunMountampSet800w

That's it for this go-round. Stay tuned for more work on this build and on my (F1). Any comments/suggestions are certainly welcomed Smile

Mark

hmgroth
hmgroth
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  John T Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:19 pm

Looking very smart so far Mark!

Cheers
JT

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Townsville, Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy J Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:35 pm

Nice looking StuG you've got there Mark, and enough stowage for several more!
Andy J
Andy J
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Gunnislake, Cornwall

Back to top Go down

Post  hmgroth Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:39 am

Thanks, Andy! Once I decided to build the later Finnish model with the logs, concrete, and rear storage box, I realized that there wouldn't be much room for the add-on stowage. I'll make some fit, though. Smile

I guess the only solution is to buy more StuGs! "May I have more StuGs, please?"

Mark
hmgroth
hmgroth
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  G Cooper Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:12 am

Hi Mark:

Ohhh, how did I miss this for over a whole month Suspect ? It looks like an excellent start to a great little kit. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with having extra stowage for another StuG. More StuGs is always a good thing I think What a Face .

Gary Cool
G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Location Location : Yuma, Az.

Back to top Go down

Post  hmgroth Tue May 14, 2013 9:03 pm

While I was finishing up my KV-II for the other build, I somehow managed to almost "Finnish" my StuG III for this build. I'm leaving all the assorted wheels and sprockets off this one for painting along with the rubber band tracks. The logs are currently just leaning against the hull for the photos as I'll need to paint behind them before attachment. The tow cables will be draped over the logs and the crank will cover a decal on the rear. I'm going to use the Tamiya-supplied half-figure to fill the open hatch. I think I now have five or six projects ready for the airbrush. Shocked

Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth FinFull800w_zps3fb7ae52

Stug III Ausf.G "Finnish Army" - Mark Groth FinFull1800w_zpsbad569d0

Comments/questions welcomed. Smile

Mark study
hmgroth
hmgroth
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  John T Wed May 15, 2013 3:48 pm

Your airbrush will be busy Mark! I'm looking forward to it!

Cheers
JT

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Townsville, Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Zabák Wed May 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Great Mark cheers

But one one question Question
https://i.servimg.com/u/f80/13/29/46/52/finful10.jpg
is there a line or is it an optical illusion??
If there is a line please abrasion her Wink

Cheers.
P.
Pavel Zabák
Pavel Zabák
Tank Commander
Tank Commander

Location Location : Czech Republic

Back to top Go down

Post  hmgroth Wed May 15, 2013 10:16 pm

Good eye, Pavel . . . yes, there's a mold line; in fact, more than one. Smile I haven't cleaned up the logs yet in prep for painting. Don't worry, those will be taken care of. Laughing

Mark study
hmgroth
hmgroth
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down