Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quick & Easy Figure Handling (while painting) Tip

3 posters

Go down

Quick & Easy Figure Handling (while painting) Tip Empty Quick & Easy Figure Handling (while painting) Tip

Post  Tarok Wed May 20, 2009 10:36 am

Reading Jenny's great tip about painting pedestals for figures reminded me of something I like to do when painting figures.

I tend to get up close and personal (No! Not in that way!!) with my figures when painting, and sometimes I find a pedestal or mounting block too chunky for me to comfortably handle (it's a personal preference). Unfortunately this means I handle the figure a lot, and with that comes the body oils and sweats secreted by hands and fingers which has a negative effect on acrylic paints (i.e. they rub off!).

So to cut what could be a long story short, what I do is wrap the (assembled) figure in cling wrap (seran wrap?), and then as I paint from the top down simply peal the wrap down, not unlike peeling a banana, as I move along. I do confess the idea is not my own, but I don't recall who I learnt it from.

Pictures follow. This is a (unfinished - there is no other sort for me) EVD 54mm Sertorian Legionary I started Jan '08. Unfortunately I didn't photograph the figure completely wrapped (or maybe I did, I'll have to check), but I think you will get the general gist of what I mean by the two pictures below.

Quick & Easy Figure Handling (while painting) Tip SertorianLegion_19 Quick & Easy Figure Handling (while painting) Tip SertorianLegion_26

HTH, any questions or comments: shoot!

Rudi Smile

p.s. for anyone wanting to see a few more pics of this project, see here: SBS on my Blog

Tarok
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Quick & Easy Figure Handling (while painting) Tip Empty Re: Quick & Easy Figure Handling (while painting) Tip

Post  Kreighshoer Wed May 20, 2009 11:28 am

interesting and clever rudi! indeed very clever!

this will be very useful for some folks!
Kreighshoer
Kreighshoer
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Back to top Go down

Quick & Easy Figure Handling (while painting) Tip Empty Re: Quick & Easy Figure Handling (while painting) Tip

Post  Richard Marchand Thu May 21, 2009 4:58 pm

Nice tip Tarok.

I'm not sure I would want to use it for 1/35 but this should come very handy with larger figures.
Richard Marchand
Richard Marchand
General
General

Location Location : Quebec, Canada

Back to top Go down

Quick & Easy Figure Handling (while painting) Tip Empty Thanks!

Post  Tarok Thu May 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi Laura,

Thanks! Well I'm not a very clever guy, but I remembered who credit belongs to for showing me this: Mike Butler of the MedRom forum king cheers

Thanks though, appreciate you looking and commenting Smile

Rudi

Tarok
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Quick & Easy Figure Handling (while painting) Tip Empty Thanks Richard

Post  Tarok Thu May 21, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi Richard,

(I keep adding "son" as a suffix whenever I type your name, force of habit I guess Laughing )

Thanks for looking and commenting Richard. Actually a 54mm size figure is only 4mm bigger than a 1/35 scale figure (which should be 49-50mm) so it's pretty easy to use this technique for the latter sized figure as well. I will admit that I don't use this trick on Warhammer sized figgies though.

Rudi Smile

Tarok
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Marchand Thu May 21, 2009 11:11 pm

The only 54mm figures I have are from the GW Inquisitor range and they have more than a 4mm difference. It seem's that they took great liberties with scale as usual Laughing
Richard Marchand
Richard Marchand
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  Tarok Fri May 22, 2009 1:29 am

Richard Marchand wrote:The only 54mm figures I have are from the GW Inquisitor range and they have more than a 4mm difference. It seem's that they took great liberties with scale as usual Laughing

LOL! They've probably gone for an heroic type size where the figure measures closer to 60-65mm?

Tarok
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Marchand Fri May 22, 2009 3:49 am

Tarok wrote:LOL! They've probably gone for an heroic type size where the figure measures closer to 60-65mm?

Hehe, exactly like you said. I measured one of them and it's 60mm to the top of the head Laughing I also compard it to a 1/35 figure and it's not that bigger Shocked So 'ill have to apologize and say that I may use you tips for 1/35 figure after all geek jocolor
Richard Marchand
Richard Marchand
General
General

Back to top Go down

Post  Tarok Fri May 22, 2009 4:17 am

LOL! Lucky guess, Richard, lucky guess Wink lol!

Tarok
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down