Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painting pedestals for figures

+3
Tarok
Sherman 18
Jenny Ryan
7 posters

Go down

Painting pedestals for figures Empty Painting pedestals for figures

Post  Jenny Ryan Wed May 20, 2009 9:54 am

Some people have asked me what I use for painting figures , I needed to make some more , so I thought I would share it with everyone .

Very simple really , you will need the following .

Painting pedestals for figures Figurebases2
First you will need two pieces of Balsa one piece square section 2.5 x 2.5cm (this will do up to a 1/35 scale figure easily . the next piece needs to be approx 3 x as wide & I am using a piece 7.5cm wide & it needs to be as thick as possible , I am using a piece 1.25cm thick . This second piece will form the base when you are letting the figure dry , so the thicker the better as when painting Pewter figures it will form a secure base .

You will also need some PVA adhesive , a razor saw , a set square & a pencil

Painting pedestals for figures Figurebases3
First measure the square section off into sections about the width of your hand grasping the piece , my hands are little but for Richies use these are measured off at 10 cm long ( try not to make them too tall or they will tend to get top heavy . Measure the base off so it will form a square ( ie. my pieces are 7.5cm wide so I made them 7.5cm long )

Painting pedestals for figures Figurebases4
Cut as many as you need , we would have 25 to 30 I guess . Depends how many figures you have in the process of being painted at any given time , you will want to make as many as the amount of material allows you .

Painting pedestals for figures Figurebases6
Put a blob of PVA in the centre of each base & attach the square section so it forms an inverted T . You will notice I also drew diagonals on the base plates so the pedestal is alligned centrally . Wipe off any excess glue with a wet rag .

Painting pedestals for figures Figurebases7

When you have pinned your figure , just push the pins firmly into the base . You can now undercoat & paint your figure without touching it ! For detail painting the pedestal is a handy hand hold & the base makes the figure stable to take a break for any length of time .

Once finished , put the pedestal in a dust free area with the figure on it until it is ready to be transfered to its display base . Keep the base handy for your next figure . After a hundred or so figures the holes in the top may make the base a bit wobbly for holding figures , get the razor saw and cut a centimetre off & Voila , a new one !

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Painting pedestals for figures Empty Re: Painting pedestals for figures

Post  Sherman 18 Wed May 20, 2009 10:39 am

Cool, Thanks for posting
Sherman 18
Sherman 18
Tank Commander
Tank Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Tarok Wed May 20, 2009 10:45 am

Good tip, thanks Jenny!

Do you find painting the figure on, and handling the pedestal takes some getting used to? I've always found them a bit awkward, but that's just me and maybe I need to give it another go - maybe my pedestals have been too chunky or big...

Thanks again!!

Rudi

Tarok
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ryan Wed May 20, 2009 10:48 am

No I find I only have small hands but these are okay , I guess you could sand the corners back & make it a little more ergonomic . I do not bother as we have 25 to 30 of them .

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kreighshoer Wed May 20, 2009 11:25 am

indeed a splendid tip jenny! your figure pedestals are better than my basic ones - i have to admit that!

i really consider to alter my pedestals! Very Happy
Kreighshoer
Kreighshoer
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Back to top Go down

Painting pedestals for figures Empty Figure mount

Post  Kiwidave4 Thu May 21, 2009 12:16 am

I dont have such a high tech solution!

I pin all my figures to the base when finished so I make one of my first jobs when building a figure to drill a hole up each leg and glue in a length of steel wire, extending an inch or so out of the leg. Then to hold the figure I push the wire into the top of a cork from a bottle of methode champenoise. This gives a very inexpensive stable base, plus the enjoyment of emptying the bottle in order to get the cork, and a few spares....!

Regards Dave

Kiwidave4
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : New Zealand

Back to top Go down

Post  john bowery Thu May 21, 2009 12:47 am

Jenny,
Thanks for the tip.
I am like Dave except that I drill a couple of holes in a piece of wood stock.one by one/half and cut off lengths from two inches up. American sizes of wood are the dimensions of the lumber. I also use the same pieces to tack pieces on with double sided tape for painting with the airbrush. These provide the stable base even for the metal figures and a hand hold as well without the extra height and extra wide base to stop it from tipping.
This works for me. There is a photo in my fantasy post of the last figure that I have done as it is still on this base.
Cheers
John

john bowery
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Indianapolis

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Marchand Thu May 21, 2009 5:02 pm

Nice tip Jenny.

Being a little paranoid I would also strengthen the pole using a sewing pin or small nail.
Richard Marchand
Richard Marchand
General
General

Location Location : Quebec, Canada

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down