Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late.

+6
S P Hammerton
John T
Jenny Ryan
Andy J
Richard Craig
G Cooper
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. Empty Dragon's ancient StuG IV late.

Post  G Cooper Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:32 am

Hi everybody What a Face

This is my begining mandatory time stamp of the kit I will be building. It may be suprising what with all the new beautiful StuG kits on the market these days. But I am a bit of a romantic, and just love the classics. But I also really like nice super detailing here and there. So with that in mind I am going to be using the (by now) very old first rendetion of Dragons idea of the StuG IV late from the Gunze Sangyo molds that Dragon used when they first started, and called them "Imperial Series" kits. This will be one of those old beauties (they WERE considered masterpeces when first released ) that will be somewhat brought up to current standards with the inclusions of lots of replacement bits from the "not for use" pieces of current Dragon releases.

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1523
The kit. Older than many modellers today actually. Very Happy

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1524-1
The date stamp.

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1525-1
All of the kit, and an idea of the kind of stuff that will be "updating" it.

This one is going to be right up my alley. As I just love all the slicing and razor sawing and rebuilding/replacing parts and pieces etc. I think the biggest slice and dice for me will be to replace the fenders with a newer set from one of the many much more current Pz IV kits I have.

Gary Cool

G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Location Location : Yuma, Az.

Back to top Go down

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. Empty Re: Dragon's ancient StuG IV late.

Post  Richard Craig Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:26 am

Should be interesting to compare stug IVs Sounds like a challenge to bring it up to date! Have fun with it Wink
Richard Craig
Richard Craig
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy J Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:45 am

Old school modelling! Love the idea of taking an ancient kit and working on it. Oh this is exactly what I'm doing too Shocked
Andy J
Andy J
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Gunnislake, Cornwall

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ryan Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:30 am

Excellent Very Happy , I am sure you are going to do an awesome Stug over there in the Naughty Corner Gary Very Happy

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  John T Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi Gary, with your knowledge of all things modelling I'm sure you will be up to this challenge!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Townsville, Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  G Cooper Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Well thanks everyone. I got my rock. I got my sharp stick. All I need now is for Jenny to bring me back my glue, and I will be ready to go Suspect .

Gary Cool
G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Back to top Go down

Post  S P Hammerton Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:47 pm

The Hi-Tech approach I see Gary...

Simon
S P Hammerton
S P Hammerton
Field Marshall
Field Marshall

Location Location : St Just, West Cornwall

http://www.simonhammerton.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew C Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Nice Smile

Looking forward to watching this Smile

I've got a PDF file somewhere that has a lot of info on the mid-late variant of the StuG IV.

Let me know if you'd like it, and I can email it to you Cool

Andrew

Andrew C
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : Auckland, New Zealand

Back to top Go down

Post  G Cooper Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks Andrew. That sounds like something I may be interested in. I would mostly be wanting to look at any interior photos or schematics/line drawings you may have for a very late StuG. But I'm not really sure if the interior layout changed that much as the end of the war approached like the exterior did.

Gary Cool
G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Back to top Go down

Post  G Cooper Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:05 am

Hi everybody What a Face

Not much to show right now as I have only just begun. And there usually just isn't that much to look at at this point in one of my builds. But here it is anyways Wink .

First was to start with the hull. I drilled a hole in the areas where I will be attatching pieces, and sanded off all of those raised areas intended to show where the things are supposed to be, except for where the bump stops are going to be. I also reworked the rear idler attatchment flange thingy by removing some of the reinforcement ribs, and cutting down on the lower profile a little bit like they did with the very late Pz IV hulls.

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1526

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1527

And of course all those wheels. These were all extras from other much more current Pz IV kits I have done, and much nicer than what is in the old kit I am using for a base.

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1530

And the drive sprocket, which is the old one from the kit, as I didn't have that style of drive sprocket from any of the newer kits. And the idler wheel which is a new piece replacement with the little brass rings on the inside.

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1528

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1529

And the replacement return rollers.

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1531

Also when I was looking at Jennys build log I saw that Voyager set she is using and thought how really nice it was. Then it suddenly occured to me that I also had that exact same detail set What a Face . And seeing as I no longer have any of the Dragon StuG III's to use it on, I decided I will use it on this. After all, the StuG IV had the same upper casemate as the StuG III. It was only the lower hull that was diffrent, and the extension for the driver. So it will all work to really polish this up quite a bit.

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1532

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1533

OK. There it is. Like I said, it's not much yet; but it is started now. And like a tiny snow ball you start rolling at the top of the hill, it is just going to get bigger and bigger, and better and better as time goes on.

Gary Cool

G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Back to top Go down

Post  hmgroth Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:18 am

Good start, Gary! Did the braided copper for the tow cables come with the Voyager set?

Mark
hmgroth
hmgroth
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Richmond, VA USA

http://a-model-citizen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  G Cooper Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:47 am

Hiya Mark:

Yes the tow cable comes with the kit. Along with a couple things that are not in this pic. Namely a really nice set of screens for both the rear overhang and the two intake vents. Also a few sets of photo etch nuts and bolts and various thickness wires. It is reallly a very nice set that will make any StuG a super nice little kit. If you have the money, I would definately suggest this set. And if you pair it with a set of photo etch fenders you could really have a beauty when you are done.

Gary Cool
G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ryan Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:56 am

Going well Gary Pyrogoatherdinglumberjack Very Happy , the cupola looks a million times better in brass too so get that done Very Happy

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew C Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:45 am

Fire me a PM Gary with your email addy, and I'll flick you that PDF file Smile

Nice progress so far

Andrew

Andrew C
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : Auckland, New Zealand

Back to top Go down

Post  John T Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Awesome job so far!!

All those wheels - you must be tyred of them. But all round, you've done a wheely great job. Suspect Very Happy Very Happy

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  hmgroth Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Yep, wheeeeels, the main reason why I've never tackled any of the IV series Shocked

Mark
hmgroth
hmgroth
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Richmond, VA USA

http://a-model-citizen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  G Cooper Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:30 am

hmgroth wrote:Yep, wheeeeels, the main reason why I've never tackled any of the IV series Shocked

Mark

Yeah, it is a bit of work with all them round things. But I guess you get that with a fair number of the German vehicles. Pz IV's Panthers, and Tigers.

Gary
G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Back to top Go down

Post  G Cooper Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:37 am

Hi everybody. Haven't been feeling well for a couple of days. But fortunately I did get some work done on the ancient little beast before what ever it was that hit me did what it did to me. Anyways, so far it has all been lower hull stuff.Where things usually start out on most AFV kits.

This is what Dragon gave us about 20 years ago when they first appeared on the plastic model scene.

The base of the upper hull and fenders tongue
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1534

The underside with those ho-hum armored intake louvers.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1535

The fenders with the treadplate finish.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1536

This was state of the art stuff back when it first came out Shocked
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1538

But as we all know there is a new standard of "state of the art". And so I cut the fenders off and will use a set of the new Dragon Pz IV fenders that were leftover from another kit.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1539

And then I cleaned out the what I considerd very basic set of armored intake louvers for a set of something a little bit newer.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1540

And then there was this. The rear of the hull. Again state of the art stuff way back when I was still just a young man. But time has passed us both by, and it is time for some things to be replaced with something newer.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1541

And this is what I came up with. A new upper plate (which will be the middle plate when it is all put together), and a compleley new lower plate with a couple of pieces of sheet styrene, a new set of rivits, and some fittings from the leftover bin from all those wonderful "not for use" pieces that Dragon usually showers us all with when we build one of their new kits.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1542

And here it is starting to come together. All new wheels and idler. And new little round what ever they are thingys on the suspension mounts. And the new rear plate with a replacement set of exhausts.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1545

And a flash washed out photo Suspect (two pokes with the sharp stick for the photographer) of that rear plate.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1546

And now the lower works are mostly done, and it is time to go on to the bits that will really be seen. All that upper hull stuff with all the bright shiney glittery brass, and maybe some internal stuff too. What a Face

Gary Cool

G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ryan Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:51 am

Excellent work Gary , I really like the marshmallow cookers on the back Very Happy !

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Zabák Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Perfect start Gary.
I have one too, but in 1/72 ( My Stug IV is in progress to - it is long time project - complete interior, engine,many scratchbuild parts)
Go Gary,Go! Cool
Pavel Zabák
Pavel Zabák
Tank Commander
Tank Commander

Location Location : Czech Republic

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy J Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 pm

That's some nice scratchbuilding and kit-bashing you're doing there Gary. It's really quite astounding how the engineering and details on kits has improved over the years. Just looking at the track tensioners on the old rear plate sends a shudder down my spine Shocked
Andy J
Andy J
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Gunnislake, Cornwall

Back to top Go down

Post  G Cooper Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys and gals king queen .

OHhhh. Do you have any marshmallows? What a Face We needs some, cause the other ones were. . . um. . . . lost somewhere Suspect .

And I am going to do also a semi interior on my StuG too Pavel Very Happy , but no engine Crying or Very sad .

And yes it is amazing to me Andy the things that used to be considerd really good stuff, but today we are so spoiled by the great stuff we are getting we tend to forget what it was like just a few short years ago.

Gary Cool
G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Back to top Go down

Post  G Cooper Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:37 am

OK. It's been a couple of weeks I thinks, so it is time for a bit of an update on where I am as far as building this old war horse. I been through what I hope is the majority of the major choppin and whackin kind of major surgery on the thing. And now it is all about replacing. . . . Well. . . . . Everything I think as far as all the little bits and bobs that get stuck all over the thing. So now heres what I have managed to get done.

A really crummy photo of the new floor and firewall that I have started.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1570

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1569

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1572
Don't you just love that wonderful auto focus on the little cheapie cameras Evil or Very Mad

The beginings of the gun. I am going to change those recoil cylinders on top so that the big one is longer than the small one Wink And move the breach itself forward a little.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1557

Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1556

Also replaced the fighting compartment vent and the radio antenna mounts, along with the radiator filler box cover thingy.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1555

A new headlight mount and headlight. New wire cutters. And scratched fire extinguisher with the Voyager photo ethc stuffs all over it.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1552

On the other side a new axe, new starter crank with new handle, along with some bits of this and that to make the mounts for them.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1551

And a new jack with some Tamiya and some brass stuff to almost finish it (I still need to make a crank handle for it) with a real test of patience in the Voyager photo etch jack holder thingy bracket.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1551

And this is the beast that will help remind you of every foul word you have ever used, or heard. Each bracket has 3 working hinges on it. It is enough fiddly frustration to keep you angry for a week I think Rolling Eyes .
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1550

And here it sits with it's brand new alumimanamumimum barrel and a new Dragon muzzle brake. Along with a totally textured sau kaupf mantlet and all the bits and bobs that I have managed to put on and not knock off again Twisted Evil .
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1549

Ohhh. Yeah. I almost forgot to mention the all brass commanders cupola, that was almost as much fun to put together as the jack bracket Suspect .
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1548

And that brings me to the maybe sort of next thing to actually have to think about. That is, do I want to put any figures in the thing. Or just have any figures on the outside ? And if I do want figgies, which ones do I want?

This one I think would be in the drivers spot, but personally I don't like him that much simply because of his size. He is a Verlinden figure, and thus VERY big.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1564

Or this guy. He also would only be a driver as there is not enough of him to put him in any other hatch I think.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1563

Arrrggh. Stoopid tourists. Always wanderin in front of people takin pictures Suspect
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1560

Or him as either a commander, or a driver. He fits real good in the drivers spot though so I like him for that possibility.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1561

And this one would fit real good as either the commander or the loader.
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1559

And this guy also fits real good as the commander or loader. Or also back in the turret of the King Tiger I have that is almost half finished tongue .
Dragon's ancient StuG IV late. DSCF1558

So what do any of you think? With figures in the vehicle. Figures outside the vehicle. Or no figures, just hatches open?

Gary Cool
G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Back to top Go down

Post  John T Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Lots of bling there, fabulous! One sweet looking stug, love the brackets on that jack.

I don't usually do figures so I can't say what you should do, but I think the last one looks the most natural IMO.

Cheers
JT

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Tankbuilder2 Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:38 pm

I like figures on or in any AFV as I think the figures give it that in use look. Even a figure or figures near the AFV are good because it gives a sense of the size of the AFV. Whether to put the figures in, on or near the AFV depends on what kind of scene you wish t o create. In the vehicle figures are great for hiding any lack of interior detailtoo.

I like how your model is looking.

Cheers

Tankbuilder2
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next