Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum

3 posters

Go down

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum Empty Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum

Post  Tankbuilder2 Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Shalom.

As promised a very long time ago here is how I make sandbags from Chicklets Chewing Gum Pieces.

You can use any other brand of chewing gum pieces that's available in your locale.

The hardest part about making these sandbags is not to chew all the gum whilst you're working.

Step #1 is to get the gum. Take the pieces out of the package. Do NOT give in to temptation and chew them.

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum 01ChickletsOutOfTheBox_zps77f42f98

Step #2 is to arrange the pieces in any container that is deep enough to allow you to cover them in hot water. Be sure the pieces don't touch each other because if they do they'll get well and truly stuck together.

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum 02ChickletsReadyToBeSoaked_zps0dba0fe1

Step #3 is to carefully and slowly add hot water from the tap to the container until the chicklets are covered. Again, be careful the pieces don't shift and touch each other.

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum 03ChickletsSoaking_zps9756e737

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum 04ChickletsSoakingCloseup_zps85cd603b

Leave the pieces to soak until all the coating has dissolved.

Step #4 is to carefully remove the pieces from the water. I carefully pour the water off then gently pick up the pieces and put them on a piece of paper to dry.

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum 05ChickletsreadyToBeUsed_zpsf062111c

Step #5 is to mold the pieces to whatever shape you want. When dry the pieces are still pliable. You can see one bag here that I curved.

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum 06ChickletsCanbeBentToShape_zpsddf5e8fc

Step #6 is to use the pieces wherever you want them and then paint them.

On a tank. (M-551 Sheridan)

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum 07ChickletsSandbagsOnM-577SheridanTank_zps1b978b7e

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum 08ChickletsSandbagsOnM-577Sheridantank_zps0ff605c5

Or to protect ammo in a mortar pit.

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum 09ChickletsSandbagsOn81mmMortarPit_zps317f130c

To line the top edge of a mortar pit. They're barely visible above the trooper that's eating.

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum 10ChickletsSandbagsOn81mmMortarPit_zps36753347

To line the bottom of a Vietnam Era M-113 APC for mine blast protection.

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum 11ChickletsSandbagsInVietnamEraM-113APC_zpsb0ca7788

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum 12ChickletsSandbagsInVietnamEraM-113APC_zps51db0ef8

I hope this is of some use to you. Comments are welcomed.

Cheers from Peter

Tankbuilder2
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum Empty Re: Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum

Post  tigertanktoo Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:47 am

So, exactly how many of those "DID" you eat before you got all the sandbags you needed for your project?  Lord knows, I'd have eaten at least one of those packs.  LOL.  Great tip and I will certainly be using it very soon.  Got a Afrika Korps Pz III I'm wanting to put some on.  One pack for me and one pack for the panzer.   Smile  Thanks.
tigertanktoo
tigertanktoo
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Newport News, Virginia

http://army.togetherweserved.com/profile/137560

Back to top Go down

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum Empty Re: Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum

Post  ShawnGehling Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:58 am

Outstanding Peter...
Chris, I would have to agree, buy and extra pack for yourself...
Peter it looks like you could put a piece of thread around one end to make it look like it was tied up, or use an blade and scribe/etch
some along the edge to give it that sand bag look or you could squeeze it between two flat surfaces and give it the seam out look.(check out any pictures).
Seam in, or seam out? Tied or tied shut with twine?
Your imagination is the limit.
Thanks again Peter...

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum Sandbagtied_zps7eb379f0

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum Sandbagscrimped_zpsdf99a9bc

Sandbags From Chicklets Chewing Gum Sandbagsseamin_zpsdf325e62
ShawnGehling
ShawnGehling
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Langley, Washington USA

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum