Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help for building accurate StuG IIIs

+5
Richard Craig
Andy J
S P Hammerton
Jenny Ryan
Andrew C
9 posters

Go down

Help for building accurate StuG IIIs Empty Help for building accurate StuG IIIs

Post  Andrew C Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:55 am

I'm a bit of a StuG III fan (14+ in the stash) Shocked

I have several reference books, including both volumes of the Sturmgeschutz book by Muller and Zimmermann.

The second volume shows all the variations of the production run of StuGs, providing detail to be factory and month specific study

I've got a spreadsheet set up, and following the complex identification list, can give you all the details to make your StuG accurate. Things like return rollers, tow hook detail, roof version and muzzle brakes.

I already have sheets for the following StuGs;

Alkett Production December 1943, April 1944, July 44, and September 1944. I also have a sheet for a StuH 42 produced in January 1945 (NB only Alkett made StuHs)

Miag Production December 1943

Either fire me a PM, or ask on this thread if you'd like help Very Happy

Andrew C
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : Auckland, New Zealand

Back to top Go down

Help for building accurate StuG IIIs Empty Re: Help for building accurate StuG IIIs

Post  Jenny Ryan Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:16 am

Thank you Andrew , very helpful to have you here . Helping people is what this hobby is all about cheers .

For anyone building a Finnish Stug or just needing some kewl interior shots you can see a nice walkaround HERE Very Happy

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Help for building accurate StuG IIIs Empty Re: Help for building accurate StuG IIIs

Post  S P Hammerton Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi Andrew

A very generous thing to do, thank you.

Simon
S P Hammerton
S P Hammerton
Field Marshall
Field Marshall

Location Location : St Just, West Cornwall

http://www.simonhammerton.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy J Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Nice one Andrew cheers
Andy J
Andy J
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Gunnislake, Cornwall

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Craig Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi Andrew ..I`d love copies of your spreadsheets...
Thanks in advance
Rick

richard.craig@sympatico.ca

Richard Craig
Richard Craig
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew C Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:55 am

Email sent Richard Very Happy

Andrew

Andrew C
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Craig Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks again!!
Richard Craig
Richard Craig
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zod Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:46 am

Thanks Andrew and Jenny. That Finnish StuG at that museum looks very tempting to build.
The Zod
The Zod
Tank Commander
Tank Commander

Location Location : Fighting Superman

Back to top Go down

Post  John T Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:26 am

Hi, for anyone looking for photos of the StuIG 33B, there are some images here I had not seen before:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deckarudo/sets/72157626012367767/detail/

Cheers
JT

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Townsville, Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ryan Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:29 am

Ooooh JT , I like that shot of G7 driving past the burnt out Katiuska ! Notice one of the roadwheels is an old one with no rubber left on the roadwheel , would you say that it is in primer red too ?

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  G Cooper Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:08 am

Some great stuff in there. Lots to look at to consider the what and how of the build. Thanks cheers .

Jenny Ryan wrote:Ooooh JT , I like that shot of G7 driving past the burnt out Katiuska ! Notice one of the roadwheels is an old one with no rubber left on the roadwheel , would you say that it is in primer red too ?

Jenny flower

My guess would be the standard German dark grey for the road wheel. But that is just my guess after a morning of having the bottle of glue open in a tiny enclosed modelling space drunken Suspect tongue .

Gary Cool
G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Location Location : Yuma, Az.

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy J Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:22 am

Jenny Ryan wrote:Ooooh JT , I like that shot of G7 driving past the burnt out Katiuska ! Notice one of the roadwheels is an old one with no rubber left on the roadwheel , would you say that it is in primer red too ?

Jenny flower

Also looks like G7 is based on an Ausf. B
Andy J
Andy J
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  John T Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Jenny flower
Primer red does appear very dark like that on other B&W photos I've seen, but I think I agree with Gary, Panzer Grey. Just a guess, who can really tell. I find the variation in stowage locations interesting, considering there were so few. The spare wheels can be seen on the front fenders, transmission cover, rear fender and the superstructure. G7 appears to have it's jack on the front right fender, plus there's various boxes and racks, spare track holders.

Cheers
JT

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Townsville, Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy J Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:01 am

I'm leaning towards it being panzer grey, the standing orders at the manufacturing plants at the time was for everything to be painted in the authorised base colour, which would have been RAL 7021 when these guns were manufactured. By the same extension any spares would be shipped finished in the authorised colour, which by summer 1943 would be RAL 7028. However, it is conceivable (and indeed likely from the evidence before us) that this wheel was from old stocks that I would conjecture were held in theatre. I really do think the whole red-primer thing is somewhat overdone and not really supported by the orders or photo evidence.

I'm now thinking that I need to buy another StuIG 33B kit and the AM parts to make this one as well as it does look to be rather interesting, Ausf B hull and fairly unique stowage. AFAIK, no other gun had the extra track on the superstructure side like this one, luckily the Eduard PE set includes the brackets.
Andy J
Andy J
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  S P Hammerton Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:57 am

A valid hypothesis Andy.

Especially when you consider that new parts were frequently dumped on older parts, so older stocks would surface as numbers were run down.

Simon
S P Hammerton
S P Hammerton
Field Marshall
Field Marshall

Location Location : St Just, West Cornwall

http://www.simonhammerton.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy J Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:24 pm

I've already mentioned this on Gary's StuG IV blog, but thought it would be a good idea to post it here too.

I have Technical manual in English that covers German radio sets and their configuration in various AFVs, it includes photos and wiring diagrams and is in a Word format. If anyone needs this info for helping with making an accurate interior, drop me a PM with your email and I can send it over. Unless of course the Admins can host it on here?
Andy J
Andy J
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Tankbuilder2 Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:42 am

I'm very interested in finding out which Stug III variant the Syrians had up on the Golan Heights. Any ideas?

Cheers

Tankbuilder2
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew C Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:14 am

If you are basing it on like in this picture?

Help for building accurate StuG IIIs StuG-III-latrun-2_zps81e202ce

This StuG III is a Miag produced variant (key indentifiers: Fender mounts and return rollers). Dating it accurately is a little more difficult. The hull and superstructure are within 12.43 - 06.44 (December 1943 steel return rollers introduced at Miag. The armour at the loaders position is still the 50mm+30mm bolt on, this was used up until 06.44) Where is gets harder after that. It has a later pattern roof introduced in May 1944, including rundumfeuer shield (rotating M.G. on roof). It also has no zimmerit, so unless the zimmerit has been removed, it must be later than September 1944. The other strange thing is the mantlet is the cast type (Topfblende), but this was only fitted to Alkett produced StuGs, so must have been retrofitted.

You could almost build this as it appears in the pic OOB from the DML 6581 kit. You'd just need to source the later roof from a StuG IV late production kit, or the new zim StuG III kit

Hope that helps study

Andrew

Andrew C
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Back to top Go down

Post  Tankbuilder2 Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:25 am

Andrew C wrote:If you are basing it on like in this picture?

Help for building accurate StuG IIIs StuG-III-latrun-2_zps81e202ce

This StuG III is a Miag produced variant (key indentifiers: Fender mounts and return rollers). Dating it accurately is a little more difficult. The hull and superstructure are within 12.43 - 06.44 (December 1943 steel return rollers introduced at Miag. The armour at the loaders position is still the 50mm+30mm bolt on, this was used up until 06.44) Where is gets harder after that. It has a later pattern roof introduced in May 1944, including rundumfeuer shield (rotating M.G. on roof). It also has no zimmerit, so unless the zimmerit has been removed, it must be later than September 1944. The other strange thing is the mantlet is the cast type (Topfblende), but this was only fitted to Alkett produced StuGs, so must have been retrofitted.

You could almost build this as it appears in the pic OOB from the DML 6581 kit. You'd just need to source the later roof from a StuG IV late production kit, or the new zim StuG III kit

Hope that helps study

Andrew

Unfortunately the three images I have are fron the rear quarter and are copyrighted. It seems that the roof is very similar to the image you posted. I sure am not going to buy two kits though just to build one model. Thanks for the info though as I may be able to get a roof from someone who has a damaged model they want to get rid of.

Thanks and cheers

Tankbuilder2
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy J Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:37 pm

Any ideas on what would be required to back-date a late(ish) StuG hull to Ausf B standard? The only real visible difference I can see is the idler and possibly the sprocket, but I'm hoping that those with more knowledge than I have on the subject could chip in and advise.
Andy J
Andy J
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down