Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review...

2 posters

Go down

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... Empty Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review...

Post  sharkmouth Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:07 am

The Kit

I ordered three kits directly from Asia and they arrived quickly. The box art, by Fleischer is well done and one either side a suggested finishing scheme was illustrated using colored CAD drawings. The instructions were underneath the sprues and well illustrated on a glossy paper. The first impression was quite favorable and not that of a limited run kit.

This new kit contains two individually plastic wrapped sprues with 68 parts on Sprue A and 58 parts on Sprue B for a total of 126 parts. Some of the pieces are quite tiny yet well molded. The plastic is of a slightly translucent yet high quality polystyrene. None of the parts fell off the sprues during shipment on any of the three kits bought.

Slide molded has been used on three areas which allowed the spent shells, stake brackets, ammunition boxes, gun barrel to have hollowed or detail openings and/or sides. The gun shield is commendably thin although there was some slight flash in the gun sight slit. See detail photos.

Aside from slight flash, there are several raised pin marks to remove but these are all on areas which will be hidden once sanded. These are the wheel slices which are used to create a tread pattern and the bottom of the stabilizer legs. The latter items get the spikes, parts B24, after the pin marks are removed and sanded away.

Assembly

Assembly of the kit seems to be straightforward. Paul Owen plans to blog this so keep an eye out for any assembly glitches encountered.

Accuracy

Comparing the kit parts to the photographs on the CD, in books, and on the web, some items have been simplified but not in a manner which makes the kit look less detailed. Some areas need fine weld beads added such as the foot well of the gun shield. Others, like the misplaced bolt on one of the wheels, needs correcting. My plan is to use epoxy putty, placed over a lightly oiled surface of the wheel, covering two bolts and part of the hub. Once the epoxy putty is dry, it can be removed revealing two bolt impressions and part of the hub.

Using heated sprue, I squash mold one bolt and carefully shave it off the sprue. Then I place the new bolt into one of the impressions of the epoxy putty mold. The wheel has the misplaced bolt removed, is sanded and washed and allowed to dry. Now, add thin (not watery) glue to the base of the bolt which was placed back in the epoxy putty mold and use the impression of the empty bolt and partial hub to properly place the new bolt. I will try to take photos of this process and add them to the forum or Paul's blog.

Conclusions

A very nice first effort from Vulcan Models. The price listed is from Stevens Hobby which will be distributing in the US. The second release has already been announced and will be a crew for this gun. I look forward to the next upcoming releases and hope the misplaced bolt on the wheel becomes a thing of the past.

References

Toadman's Tank Pictures #10 British World War II Anti Tank Guns CD
http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/2pdr.htm
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/2pdrwm_1.htm
The 2-Pounder Anti-Tank Gun in Canadian Service by Doug Knight; Service Publications, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, 2008

Photographs
Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr001
Box art

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr002
One finishing suggestion

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr003
The second finishing suggestion

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr004SprueA
Sprue A

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr005SprueB
Sprue B

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr006
Slight flash on ultra thin shield which does not have any pin marks.

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr008
Three examples of slide molding.

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr010
Close up of the shield detail to show the delicate bolts.

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr011
Slight sink mark on the platform. Others found where in sections not seen upon completion.

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr012
The top left bolt here is out of place. It should be moved, placed face down if deployed, or wait for an aftermarket correction wheel set (yes, it is coming- no, it was not intentional as I pointed out this error).

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr014
Fine details but be careful removing parts from the sprue.

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr015
Insides of the wheels.

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr017
Large pin 'towers' on the bottom of the stabilizing arms. These are not a problem as they are hidden if deployed or are easily removed since the only detail (spikes) can be added after sanding.

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... 2Pdr018
Most pin marks are on the inside of parts where they won't be seen after completion.

Regards,
Saúl

Last edited by sharkmouth on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:01 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added detailed review text and removed HTML tags)
sharkmouth
sharkmouth
General
General

Location Location : The mountains of South East New York

http://www.track-link.net

Back to top Go down

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... Empty Re: Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review...

Post  Jenny Ryan Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:54 am

Looks fairly crisp for the most part Saul ! Very Happy I am sure it will build up well . I have mine on its way too ! I can not wait bounce bounce bounce bounce , an ideal side piece for Tamiyas new Matilda too !

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review... Empty Re: Vulcan Models 2 Pdr arrives for me to review...

Post  sharkmouth Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:14 pm

I added some text below the photos. I bought three examples. I didn't know Paul would start a blog on Track-Link so one is to be built now and detailed as best I can and the others are in case any aftermarket detail sets or conversions appear.

Regards,
Saúl
sharkmouth
sharkmouth
General
General

Location Location : The mountains of South East New York

http://www.track-link.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down