Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book review F4U Corsair

2 posters

Go down

Book review F4U Corsair Empty Book review F4U Corsair

Post  S P Hammerton Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:00 pm

The Vought F4U Corsair
A Comprehensive Guide
By
Rafe Morrissey and Joe Heggedus

[img]Book review F4U Corsair Corsair-review[/img]

Amongst the many different aircraft designs to have seen service during WWII, the F4U Corsair is certainly one of the most recognisable.

This soft-back title from SAM Publications is a superb volume on this powerful fighter, and is very much written with the modeller in mind.

The authors show commendable enthusiasm for their subject, and take the reader from the earliest wooden wind-tunnel models, through the prototype development phase, and on through the Corsair’s combat history.

The genesis of the Corsair is an interesting one. The distinctive wing shape was a result of having to allow ground clearance for the massive 13 foot-plus propeller, while at the same time allowing for undercarriage strong enough to survive carrier operations. Its early development was beset with problems, a situation brought about by using an untested and novel airframe design with the mighty Pratt & Whitney R-2800 “Double Wasp”, which produced in excess of 2,000hp. But the Corsairs formidable performance still won it many fans, both with US and with Commonwealth Aviators.

The Corsair continued in service with many countries until the late 1960s, ironically pitting Corsair against Corsair in the so-called “Soccer War” between El Salvador and Honduras in 1969.

All variants of the Corsair are covered, and each section is lavishly furnished with superb photographs (both colour and B&W), personal recollections by the Aviators who flew this beast of a fighter, and excellent colour plates by Vincenzo Auletta.

As this book is very much geared towards the modeller, we also get a comprehensive breakdown of kits, and accessories for the keen Corsair modeller.

Finally in the back of the book, we get a superb set of 1/48th scale plans for the various Corsair types. These are credited to Srecko Bradic in the opening credits, but have Gordon Whiteheads’ name on the actual drawings. This confusion aside, this is an excellent book for both Naval Aviation enthusiasts and modellers. Indeed several model club members are trying to get their grubby paws on this book, to the point that I’m having to beat them off with a stick!

The Vought F4U Corsair
A Comprehensive Guide
By
Rafe Morrissey and Joe Heggedus
ISBN Code 978-1-906959-12-8

Highly Recommended

Thanks to SAM Publications for the review copy

Last edited by S P Hammerton on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
S P Hammerton
S P Hammerton
Field Marshall
Field Marshall

Location Location : St Just, West Cornwall

http://www.simonhammerton.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Book review F4U Corsair Empty Re: Book review F4U Corsair

Post  Jenny Ryan Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:44 am

Indeed several model club members are trying to get their grubby paws on this book, to the point that I’m having to beat them off with a stick!

Hmmmm Simon , I see I am going to issue a naughty corner administrator stick , mine is covered in bite marks from one Mr Cooper affraid

That being said , this sounds like an excellent book for anyone building a Corsair by the sounds of things .

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down