Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Miniatures in Review

2 posters

Go down

Military Miniatures in Review  Empty Military Miniatures in Review

Post  Jenny Ryan Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:03 am

hrough years of getting Model Magazines , the make or break issue for me is the caliber of writer , the originality , and informative content . So many times you see rehashed content of a technique which has quite honestly been shown in many magazines often by the same author and often of the same model .

That for me is why Military Miniatures in Review is one of the most eagerly awaited magazines for me . Edited by John ("spud" although for those who have seen that photo on facebook often refer to him as "Tangles") Murphy , who is one of my favourite modellers I must admit , it is one of those magazines which even has awesome ads , great reviews and of course some amazing articles .

Issue 52 is a visual treat , it certainly boosts your enthusiasm , when a model in your imminent builds pile is featured on the cover. Indeed "Tangles" very own "Bush Bashing Pommie" Australia Centurion is one model that got my interest straight away . A sweet build , gone through in depth with after market and other improvements , I am keeping this magazine real close for future reference ! The pearl of Johns build is the weathering and I will be using his burnt exhaust cover technique , amazing !

As if this was not enough , directly following is a double page of Aussie Centurion Reference photos in colour ! Outstanding .

Doug Frame builds ICM Models 1:48 scale Sd.Kfz 222 , enhancing the few kit shortcomings and adding the awesome Black Dog stowage and a Gaso.line figure

Another of my favourite vehicles is the Sd.Kfz 250 and Andy King builds Dragons 250/9 Neu premium edition , almost straight from the box , the premium edition stuff has enough goodies in the box with the only details added being an after market barrel and aerial . This is an excellent build , a vehicle not overloaded with heavy weathering techniques , aesthetically very pleasing in three tone camo .

Some other great articles are included "Red Beach One" is a small vignette with a Ford GPA in the pacific with a lone Dragon Gen 2 figure , a really novel approach to chipping paint and one I will definitely be trying in the future. The water effects are very special .

For those who like a good scratch built conversion , Roy Chow converts the AFV/Skybow Dodge Beep into a M6 37mm Gun Motor Carriage . A great looking conversion , one wonders why someone does not do a resin conversion of the same .

Military Miniatures Painting Guide No.7 is a real gem , Michael Rinaldi takes us through a step by step of a not often modelled UK Armour winter white wash of a Tamiya Churchill Tank , unusually he purchased the kit prebuilt off EBay , he then turns it into a masterpiece of weathering !

If you love a good modelling read , not only fantastic techniques but keeping updated on all the latest releases , then I thoroughly recommend the current issue of Military Modelling in Review , it's like Tanks and Things in magazine format !

My thanks go to Ampersand Publications for the review copy

Jenny Croft
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Military Miniatures in Review  Empty Re: Military Miniatures in Review

Post  Carlos Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:12 am

Whats happened to these guys ? Has to be THE quality mag around,articles,features,the quality paper it is printed on ( unlike the loo roll paper mags we get in the Uk... Gd mags but like readin a newspaper Laughing) oh and its got HUMOUR !!! ive havnt heard a thing since issue 52 ??!!

Whats occurrin ??

Carlos

Carlos
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Back to top Go down