Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Small Shop's Wire Wrangler

4 posters

Go down

The Small Shop's Wire Wrangler Empty The Small Shop's Wire Wrangler

Post  sharkmouth Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:02 am

The latest tool from The Small Shop is the Wire Wrangler. Designed by John Geigle, of Masterpiece Models, it is a simple beautifully made machine as can be expected from The Small Shop.

The Small Shop's Wire Wrangler Ww1

It arrives in a ©️ ZipLoc bag fully assembled with instructions. Looking at the tool, we see several parts borrowed from other products such as the standard metal lined plastic knob, the spring, threaded and non threaded pins.

The Small Shop's Wire Wrangler Ww2

The ingenuity of the design is the plier action of the two semicircular halves which tighten at the tip before the end where the knob is located. This grabs the wire placed in any sixteen of the seventeen landings provided to allow for grab handles.

The Small Shop's Wire Wrangler Ww4

The sizes of the steps, in inches, are:

There is a pin located at the 0.70 inch location so a wire can not be run through.

The Small Shop's Wire Wrangler Ww3

However, it is possible to pinch the tip of the wire and create a 'C' shape or a spring by wrapping around the step.

This tool is super simple in use. Pass the wire through the open clamp and tighten the knob. Bend the ends over. For sizes small than 0.70 inch, slide off the front of the tool. Larger sizes need to have the tool loosened a bit more and the item is removed by sliding laterally. Clip the ends to length and apply to the model.

For springs, clamp the tip of the wire or solder and wrap around the correctly sized step. The only limitation is the 0.15 inch length of the steps.

Being aluminum, use only copper wire, soft brass, or solder. It is a good idea for brass to anneal it by heating before using in this tool.

A beautifully made product that works well. It is not dangerous around children (a consideration whenever I buy tools) but it is expensive at $49.99USD. Like most quality tools this should last a lifetime and it does have a lifetime manufacturing guarantee. It is recommended as it is more versatile than my previous grab handle making tool. My thanks to The Small Shop (US) for the sample.

Last edited by sharkmouth on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
sharkmouth
sharkmouth
General
General

Location Location : The mountains of South East New York

http://www.track-link.net

Back to top Go down

The Small Shop's Wire Wrangler Empty Re: The Small Shop's Wire Wrangler

Post  Jenny Ryan Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:22 am

What a Kewl Tool Very Happy , A grab handler and spring etc maker in one . It would have a heap of different uses as well as bending etch (I am thinking it would bend perfect Hetzer periscope guards Very Happy ) , have you got an approximate price ?

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  sharkmouth Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi Jenny,

I committed the price of $49.99USD from the review. It has been added.

Yes, the Jagdpanzer 38 periscope guards, as an open D shape, can easily be made with this tool. Just select the smaller diameter from the one needed to allow for the metals inherent tendency to try to spring back.

Regards,
sharkmouth
sharkmouth
General
General

Location Location : The mountains of South East New York

http://www.track-link.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ShawnGehling Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Saul,
I saw this beast at the IPMS Nationals, and everyone was talking about it. A couple of guys from our groups up this way got it and swear by it... Me being the Anti-brass guy passed on it, but when we got it back to the hotel room and saw that it could be used to make grab handles, I kicked myself for not jumping on it.
Great review as always.
Shawn
ShawnGehling
ShawnGehling
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Langley, Washington USA

Back to top Go down

Post  John T Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:25 am

Love the Small Shop stuff. This is on my wish list, plus one of those PE curvey roundy doodads. (Deluxe Brass Assist Rolling Set)

Last edited by JT on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the real name of that doodad.)

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Townsville, Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down