Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February

+12
John Short
Pavel Zabák
Richard Craig
Andy J
kolche
fv432
The Zod
G Cooper
hmgroth
John T
S P Hammerton
Jenny Ryan
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Empty Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February

Post  Jenny Ryan Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:10 am

Okay well I was so excited by this build that I have ingloriously shelved my Chechnyan diomarama just to start this Very Happy .

I like to tell a story with my diomaramas and one of the best ways to do this is showing a vehicle doing what it is supposed to do . The mighty Stug was designed as an assualt gun to offer support and protection to advancing Infantry .

So the idea with this diomarama is to show my stug doing just that , the infantry are advancing which means the attached mortar squad has to be hot on their heels , to get to the best fire position they have to make a break across open country of a train yard , and are high tailing it to cover , while the stug loader fires on the enemy positions , probably more to keep heads down than anything .

Lets start with the formalities Very Happy , My chosen Stug kit and todays paper
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Ingredients1

The lovely box of goodies
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Ingredients2

The only aftermarket I am using is the "Basic" Voyager set , no aftermarket barrel , magic tracks , no PE fenders affraid affraid affraid ... I will use my own "Jenny Clamps" of course , to save what little sanity I have left geek !
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Ingredients3

The six man Mortar squad running to cover are excellent resin figures . The Tank Stug crew are just ideal for the scenario also .
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Ingredients4

To create the Railway yard I have chosen Trumpeters German Railway track , a Bastion 35 kiosk , a Plus Model Water Pump , Verlinden Cable reels and a Model Scenes Fence .
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Ingredients6

Of course I have lots of excellent reference material to read Very Happy
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Ingredients5

Okay bounce bounce bounce LETS GOOOOOOO !!!!!! bounce bounce bounce

Jenny flower

Last edited by Jenny Ryan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:08 pm; edited 5 times in total
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Location Location : NSW Australia

http://tanksandthings.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Empty Re: Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February

Post  S P Hammerton Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 am

I think we can safely assume your Stug will get the attention it deserves.

Simon
S P Hammerton
S P Hammerton
Field Marshall
Field Marshall

Location Location : St Just, West Cornwall

http://www.simonhammerton.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Empty Re: Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February

Post  John T Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Jenny Ryan wrote:Okay bounce bounce bounce LETS GOOOOOOO !!!!!! bounce bounce bounce

Jenny flower
cheers cheers bounce cheers cheers cheers bounce cheers cheers cheers bounce cheers
Looking forward to it!!

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Location Location : Townsville, Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  hmgroth Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:46 am

Can't wait to see how you handle the RR tracks. I have a ludicrous idea brewing in the back of my mind for a vignette involving a RR bridge crossing...NOT the the Stug build but for yet another.

Mark
hmgroth
hmgroth
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Richmond, VA USA

http://a-model-citizen.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  G Cooper Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:17 am

Ohhh oh oh oh.

It looks like this is going to be another unbelievable intense Jenny build. I can hardly wait to see all you are going to do with this.

Gary Cool
G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Location Location : Yuma, Az.

Back to top Go down

Post  The Zod Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:48 am

This will be a cool diorama. cheers
The Zod
The Zod
Tank Commander
Tank Commander

Location Location : Fighting Superman

Back to top Go down

Post  hmgroth Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:15 am

Will be watching your G take shape, as the Finnish ones were based on the Ausf.G.

Mark
hmgroth
hmgroth
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ryan Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:29 am

Okay , well I have been working on the suspension and the PE cupola and will update progress on that area soon but I thought I would show you this which Richie helped me with (as usual Very Happy )

Well when I start a diomarama I set out all the bits I need on a big piece of MDF (medium density Fibreboard) which is 15mm thick . I always try to compact all the items I want to have to create a dynamic looking base , the smaller the area , the less area of scenics and detailing , you do not need to create a full train yard , just the illusion that it continues onwards
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Base1

Once all items were placed and I was happy with the layout I then had the size I needed Richie to cut the board to 265mm x 245mm and here it is Very Happy Note the numbers are approx placement of figures .

Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Base2

When we go to the Hardware store I pick out the sort of edging I need , this is one of the less decorative ones , Richie measured it to suit and marked each edge of the board to match the appropriate size of the edging Very Happy

Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Base3

This was glued with PVA , once dry all edges were puttied and sanded . Very Happy

Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Base4

Now the base is stained with Cabots interior stain , this time I chose Walnut . Very Happy Now it is ready to be masked and the groundwork added .

Jenny flower

Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John T Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi Jenny, I like the plan!! Looks like an action packed scene as you do so well!

Cheers
JT

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  fv432 Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:02 am

Going to be watching you guys with great interest cheers
fv432
fv432
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : Great britain

Back to top Go down

Post  kolche Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi Jenny
It will be doubtless new excellent work. I the admirer of your diopamas!
kolche
kolche
Tank Commander
Tank Commander

Location Location : Russian Federation

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy J Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Strewth! Planning! Whatever next... Seriously though I think this is a good idea, consider it "borrowed" for one or both of my builds.
Andy J
Andy J
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Gunnislake, Cornwall

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ryan Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Well I always like to work on all parts of a diorama together , so I have been assembling figures as well as my stug Very Happy

The figures have little to no modification , they were exactly what I wanted for the diorama , I still need to do some minor stuff , fill some arm seams , add rifle slings , headphone cables and that sort of stuff .

This figure is the squad leader
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February 1squadleader

The next figure is the guy carrying the mortar tube , one thing I did not know was the purpose of the "pouch" carried on the right hand side of his belt . For me stuff like this is always a problem as you do not know what colour it should be and if it is leather , canvas etc .
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February 2tubecarrier

So I sent some photos of the boxart and the unpainted figure to my good friend Ron Volstad , Very Happy and the next morning I had my answer , not only does Ron know what the item is but he actually has one in his collection , the following photos are thanks to my friend Ron cheers , the item is a Firing pin container specifically carried by the mortar gunner .
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Firingpinpouch

Ron told me that the box was seen in grey , olive green and dark yellow depending on the timeframe .
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Firingpinpouch2

Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Firingpinpouch3

And this is a illustration of the crew changing the firing pin .
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Firingpinchanging

This guy carries the bipod legs
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February 5bipodcarrier

This guy carries the base plate on his back and cradles the mortar sight box , I also gave him a captured Ppsh MG and ammo pouch
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February 4baseplatecarrier

The first ammo carrier
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February 3ammocarrier1

The second ammo carrier
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February 6Ammocarrier

The Stug Commander , I had to fix a few bits of the figure , still need to get rid of the seam line on the binoculars
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February 7stugcommander

And lastly the Stug Loader , providing the "covering Fire" that earns the diomarama its name
Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February 8stugloader

More soon Very Happy

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John T Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi Jenny, nice figures. The information about the firing pin box is interesting, good on you Ron!

Cheers
JT

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Craig Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Great job on the figures and the base ...I'm following along all the way on this one . Wink

Rick
Richard Craig
Richard Craig
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Back to top Go down

Post  hmgroth Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Jenny, what a great start! I've always admired your dioramas for their compactness . . . they always convey a sense of urgency. Can't wait to watch this develop!

Mark
hmgroth
hmgroth
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  G Cooper Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:10 am

Ohhh that is super nice looking. All those figures look great already. And it is kewl knowing that little bit of info about the firing pin case on the guy carrying the tube. Very Happy

Gary Cool
G Cooper
G Cooper
naughty corner commissar
naughty corner commissar

Location Location : Yuma, Az.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Zabák Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:52 am

Wooow Jenny, another great diorama.
I'm looking forward for see more inspiration progress.
Pavel Zabák
Pavel Zabák
Tank Commander
Tank Commander

Location Location : Czech Republic

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy J Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:56 pm

G Cooper wrote:
Ohhh that is super nice looking. All those figures look great already. And it is kewl knowing that little bit of info about the firing pin case on the guy carrying the tube. Very Happy

Gary Cool

It was like being back at school! Although I was a semi-permanent resident of the naughty corner back then Wink
Andy J
Andy J
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ryan Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Well it has been ages since I have done an update , I appologise , with christmas , birthdays and stuff it has been pretty busy . But hey it has not stopped me modelling , just updating Very Happy .

Well I have the build of the stug pretty much complete for painting of interior subassemblies and then I will assemble the subassemblies together .

Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Stugcomponents3

The superstructure subassemblies , my big gripe with the build so far is the poor fitting voyager PE set , I certainly cannot recommend this set for the Dragon kit , in reality it is designed for the Tamiya Stug III G and it shows , the MG shield , sliding sight cover and most tool fittings are designed for Tamiyas stug. The main dilemma is that you can not rely on the original mounting locations for the PE replacements and careful study of some good reference is required . I added the two MP40's and ammo cases to the rear crew area even though they probably will not be seen once the figures are added .

Jennys Build - Covering Fire ! Updated 20th February Stugcomponents4

The lower hull is completed with the wheels and tracks built but kept off for detail painting , as I said before the tool fittings are sized for the tamiya kit so trying to detail the fire extinguisher was impossible so a full new extinguisher and brackets from Orange Hobbies was used . The voyager stowage rails were near impossible to assemble so I scavenged a set left over from an old stug project of Richies by eduard ( big hint , never throw out old etch frets with parts left over ) .

Well now I am off to prime the interior for painting . Very Happy

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Back to top Go down

Post  John Short Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Nice work Jenny.
I’m with you on keeping the old etch bits. Event the frets themselves can come in handy.
John Short
John Short
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Location Location : Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy J Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Same situation as me Jenny, got stuff done when I could just haven't got round to blogging it, must rectify that immediately.

StuG looks good, and to be honest if you hadn't mentioned the parts fit issue with the Voyager set I don't think I would have noticed. I have similar issues with the CMK driver's compartment, which will require some more surgery to kit parts...

A quick suggestion if I may, before you spread paint around; if those spare wheels are going to be portrayed with the hubs exposed you'll need to drill bolt holes to correspond with the hub-covers (might want to line them up a bit better than I did though Neutral ). Of course if you're using the retaining plates then the hubs won't be exposed and you won't need to try and drill tiny holes.

I don't throw anything out, which is why I have loads of bits of brass, copper wire, lead foil and other odds and ends cluttering up the place. Does help when you need to quickly scratch up a part though Smile
Andy J
Andy J
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  John T Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Sweet! Good idea to leave it in subassemblies I reckon. I usually do that, though I haven't really with the Sig so far.

Cheers
JT

John T
Platoon Commander
Platoon Commander

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Ryan Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks JT & JS from JR Very Happy . Yeah Andy I am going to use the PE end plates but wanted to paint them seperately so they look different to the wheels in situ , for this I will have them attached to some tape and then add them Very Happy

Jenny flower
Jenny Ryan
Jenny Ryan
Supreme commander
Supreme commander

Back to top Go down

Post  hmgroth Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:49 pm

Looking good, Jenny Smile Yeah, I know with the holidays, etc., I've been delinquent in posting my StuG updates, although I'm still wrestling with fabricating the flamm cover from scratch. Hopefully I'll make some progress soon.

Mark
hmgroth
hmgroth
seasoned veteran
seasoned veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next