Jennys' Tanks & Things
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brass mini hinges

Go down

Brass mini hinges Empty Brass mini hinges

Post  fv432 Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:42 pm

this is the way i make them

First up the material used is 0.1mm brass sheet this isn't the norm but you will need to guage the thickness for your own needs

Brass mini hinges 6

the bigger the hatches/door the thicker the sheet and tube/rod the thickness of the former (rod/tube) depends on the size of the original

next is to measure the hinge to be replaced

Brass mini hinges 2

then look at the original and see what it looks like and what type your going to build (this one has a 3 position hinge similar to a door hinge)

Brass mini hinges 28

measure the hinge and transfer it to the brass sheet and cut out the strip you'll need two strips for one hinge

Brass mini hinges 2

Brass mini hinges 3
Brass mini hinges 4
Brass mini hinges 5

fold the strip around your rod/tube and clamp firmly with pliers creating the nice round
tube

Brass mini hinges 8
Brass mini hinges 9
Brass mini hinges 10
Brass mini hinges 11

More to follow
fv432
fv432
Be nice to me I am new
Be nice to me I am new

Location Location : Great britain

Back to top Go down

Brass mini hinges Empty Re: Brass mini hinges

Post  fv432 Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:43 pm

once you have the basic shape put it in a helping hand and carefully solder the edges together to stop it coming apart(don't go to far up or you'll solder the rod/tube to the hinge Not good)

Brass mini hinges 22
Brass mini hinges 23

clean of any remaining solder so it's nice and flat and pop it in a vice (i use ally angle as it keeps a nice sharp edge)

Brass mini hinges 15

remove the rod/tube and mark up the hinge to look how you want it then carefully dremel/file out the waste clean of the burr and re-try the rod/tube

Brass mini hinges 18

now you have one hinge side follow the same steps for the other side and align the two parts and mark off the waste on the other side and cut out the same as the first. try it with the other side and see if it fits a bit of careful fileing dremaelling and alls good to go fit the rod/tube to the two parts and now you have your own scale hinge

Brass mini hinges 20
Brass mini hinges 24
Brass mini hinges 26
Brass mini hinges 25

some of my hinges on my tanks

Brass mini hinges 27

Brass mini hinges 32
Brass mini hinges 31
Brass mini hinges 34
Brass mini hinges T34001
Brass mini hinges T34005
Brass mini hinges 29